Autotrain & Trikes

For all those of the motorized 3-wheel persuasion.

Moderator: WCLamb

ladyff1481

Autotrain & Trikes

Postby ladyff1481 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:19 pm

FYI Amtrack's AutoTrain which runs between Lorton VA (Washington D.C.) and Sanford FL (Orlando) is accepting a limited number of Trikes on their Train. The counter lady told me that they are not announcing this info just yet and they are expanding their capabilities to transport more Trikes.
Good news for those of us that would like to take our Trikes to Florida and back.

WCLamb
Staffer

Re: Autotrain & Trikes

Postby WCLamb » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:52 pm

ladyff1481 wrote:FYI Amtrack's AutoTrain which runs between Lorton VA (Washington D.C.) and Sanford FL (Orlando) is accepting a limited number of Trikes on their Train. The counter lady told me that they are not announcing this info just yet and they are expanding their capabilities to transport more Trikes.
Good news for those of us that would like to take our Trikes to Florida and back.

As someone who's taken the AutoTrain to Florida, I'll offer up a couple comments:
1. We experienced some minor damage to our car in transit. Seems that they stack the cars on the carriers in upper and lower levels. If you're on the lower level, "stuff" will drop from the bottom of the upper level vehicles. Our beautiful Legend LS Coupe was dinged up when we got to Sanford, and of course Amtrak took absolutely no responsibility, even though the car was covered in stones and gravel when we got it back. Be wary!
2. Taking the train during the "iffy" season poses a couple problems, too. You reserve spaces like on an airline flight. If the weather takes a turn for the worse, either coming or going... there's no refunds because you couldn't get to Lorton... or the return trip will let you off in Lorton into whatever weather is waiting... rain, snow, sleet, hail, etc. You've got to be prepared to adjust your plans on the fly. And it's a L-O-N-G ride home to Waverly in crap weather, three wheels or not.
3. Despite Amtrak's claim that the pullman seats are quite confortable for sleeping... Don't believe it. Go for the sleeper. I spent a 2-week vacation miserable and in pain with a stiff neck from sleeping in a goofy position on that train.
YMMV.

TJNY

Postby TJNY » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:32 pm

I would think the joy would be to ride the bike-trike to Florida!!!
YOU CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS, BUT YOU CAN BUY A MOTORCYCLE AND THAT'S PRETTY CLOSE!!! BORN TO RIDE!!!

ladyff1481

Postby ladyff1481 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:46 am

WC,
You didn't state how long ago you took the AutoTrain. Having just returned from my 3rd trip using AutoTrain last Sunday, once again I was very happy. You also never mentioned that Amtrack video tapes all cars upon drop off. I bought my brand new Tuscon while in Fl 2 yrs. ago and had to get it home so I cancelled my flight and took the AutoTrain without any problems. Yes, I agree that the seats are not the most comfortable in coach but I couldn't justify spending another $400 pp for a sleeper car (round trip.) They serve a sit down dinner and breakfast the next day.
As for the weather, well anyone should take that into consideration. I was not reimbursed for my meals or hotel stay last Christmas for my flight cancellation out of Syracuse because of the weather. But we got what we expected traveling in the NY winter.

WCLamb
Staffer

Postby WCLamb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:46 pm

ladyff1481 wrote:WC,
You didn't state how long ago you took the AutoTrain.

Joanne, it was quite some time ago. The Legend was an '89 model, and was still like new, so it must have been in the early 90s. We turned it over in '95 for a new Buick Riveria (BIG mistake!) so, yes... it was a while back.
ladyff1481 wrote:You also never mentioned that Amtrack video tapes all cars upon drop off.

They weren't videotaping the incoming vehicles back then. I can only guess, but they probably ran into enough claims that they had to do something to protect themselves -- and their customers. I'm sure insurance fraud runs rampant... having evidence of the "before and after" benefits the honest people and protects the carrier from fraudulant claims. It's a shame it had to come to that. In NJ, they typically take photos of a car when it's being insured... just to prevent frivilous claims and having to repair pre-existing damage. I think it's a good idea for them to take video of the cars, so that if there IS damage at delivery, it can be proven when it happened (on the train).

We weren't so lucky. :cry:

Return to “Trikes & 3-Wheelers”