Pros and Cons of your trike!!!

For all those of the motorized 3-wheel persuasion.

Moderator: WCLamb

TJNY

Pros and Cons of your trike!!!

Postby TJNY » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:12 pm

For those of us who are looking into buying a trike could you shed some pros and cons about your bike, thanks!!!
YOU CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS, BUT YOU CAN BUY A MOTORCYCLE AND THAT'S PRETTY CLOSE!!! BORN TO RIDE!!!

arntufun

Re: Pros and Cons of your trike!!!

Postby arntufun » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:18 am

I own a Spyder and it has tons of features

Choice of manual or semi auto transmission
True reverse gear
ABS on all wheels
Power assist steering
Stability control
Traction control
plenty of power - 106 HP 0-60mph in 4.5 seconds (not bad for a trike)
and IMO the way trike should have been made from the beginning. With the reverse trike design you will fly through the twisties faster than most two wheel cruisers and hands down faster than the standard trike (two wheels in the back).

I'm not sure of your likes or dislikes, but there are two models of Spyder to choose from which makes it great. I have the sport model it's called the RS. the 2012 RS-S comes standard with Fox racing shocks to further improve this bad boy. A RS is more of a aggressive riding stance compared to a sport bike which I love. I have mine customized to be sexy as well to lure the ladies (when wife is not with me....LOL joke).

The other model for touring is the RT. This model is perfect for touring and comfort and has every option out there including power windshield and push button rear shock adjustment. With the RT, the Spyder offers direct from the factory color matched trailer. Name another brand that does that.

Both models of the Spyder is powered by the proven Rotax v-twin and it's sweet spot in every gear is 6000 rpms. That may seem high when compared to any other motorcycle engine, but trust me the moter runs sweet in that range.

Downfalls of the Spyder is MPG. Most Spyders are getting mid 30's with them. I get less because I have alot of performance upgades on mine and I sacrifice MPG for SPM (smiles per mile). Another downfall is the dealer network. Almost every town has a Harley dealer, but you might have to travel 30-45 minutes away to find a Spyder dealer. The dealer closest to Americade is Progressive Motorsports and they are concidered a good dealer in the Spyder world.

The Spyder will at least take a few hundred miles to get used to how it handles. The closest thing you can compare the riding style to would be an ATV or a snowmobile. After you get used to how it handles, you will absolutly love this unique machine. Google Can Am Spyder BRP and just browse the site for more info. Good luck to you in whatever trike you choose and I will see you at Americade.
Spyder Rider

Hot Rod

Postby Hot Rod » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:30 pm

The only problem I'm having with my Goldwing CSC Trike is, I can't get it through my front door.

TJNY

Postby TJNY » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:54 pm

I suggest you try the back door or better yet the overhead garage door, hmmmmm??? LOL
YOU CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS, BUT YOU CAN BUY A MOTORCYCLE AND THAT'S PRETTY CLOSE!!! BORN TO RIDE!!!

arntufun

Postby arntufun » Tue May 15, 2012 7:25 pm

I guess I will never give an opinion to this TJNY guy again. I took time out of my day and wrote about the trike I own and this OP never had the courtesy to respond to say thank you or anything for my response. :shock:

I for one think you are the type of person that belongs on a BMW if you always act like that !!! :|
Spyder Rider

TJNY

Postby TJNY » Tue May 15, 2012 7:44 pm

Sorry, but I don't come on here often anymore, looked for answers a few times and somehow I missed yours. Now as far as a BMW goes, no thanks, I have many bikes but no BMW in my stable, but maybe one day I'll feel the need and buy one, but I doubt it, but I have researched the Spyder RT and it is high on my list of maybes. Now I'm betting my bottom dollar I know who you are, yupppppppppppppppp!!!

arntufun

Postby arntufun » Tue May 15, 2012 9:13 pm

TJNY wrote:Sorry, but I don't come on here often anymore, looked for answers a few times and somehow I missed yours. Now as far as a BMW goes, no thanks, I have many bikes but no BMW in my stable, but maybe one day I'll feel the need and buy one, but I doubt it, but I have researched the Spyder RT and it is high on my list of maybes. Now I'm betting my bottom dollar I know who you are, yupppppppppppppppp!!!

I was just messin with ya anyway !!! :mrgreen:

Thank goodness for no BMW !!! LOL LOL Although, BMW is made a sport model reverse trike and will be importing it to the US shortly. It is a cross between a Spyder and a crotch rocket, it's called the GG Tauras if you want to check it out. !!! It looks really neat if you like sporty, but costs alot. But what BMW don't ????

As far as you knowing me, it's possible. 8)
Spyder Rider

x-90 rider

Postby x-90 rider » Wed May 16, 2012 7:28 pm

TJ, I found you some economically priced trikes.

This is fairly new and comes with the charger as standard equipment.

If you prefer a huge 50cc gasoline engine that gets great mileage and has plenty of dry storage space, I found a few nice trikes for you.

I will keep checking the market for you and if I find something better, I will post some more photos. :mrgreen:

TJNY

Postby TJNY » Wed May 16, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks Jim, sounds like a great plan, keep looking, LOL.

Spiritdream

Postby Spiritdream » Fri May 25, 2012 1:20 pm

TJ, are you planning on demo rides this year? Last year Spyder had both models available to demo there at FWH, as well as several other vendors. Try as many as you can - what's good for one isn't always good for another (as I'm sure you know)!!

I have a Suzuki Boulevard C50 with a Lehman trike kit. I honestly should have gone with the C90 - the C50 has "get up & go", but still feels underpowered sometimes. And the solid axle on the trike kit is a bit of a bone cruncher on some roads. The trunk space is a joke, at best, but I can still get quite a bit in there with careful packing. :wink: And the lack of reverse is a slight inconvenience, but I've learned to work around that.

That being said, I LOVE triking!! I like the stability and the greater visibility. My gas mileage isn't bad, and I can generally keep up with anything I need to. I also like the storage space - much better for traveling! :)
Cheri
2007 Suzuki C50 Boulevard/Lehman Tramp Trike
MMA; GWRRA; TOI-MA

Let your dreams run wild....be brave enough to follow...Author Unknown

Coach 64

Postby Coach 64 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:36 pm

TJ;
I have a Honda 1800 VTX with a champion kit. Very powerful, plenty of storage, very comfortable (solid axel)
Tom

bickman80

Postby bickman80 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:57 pm

HI

i now have a 95 csc trike, it has 133,000 miles on it. this was the best investment i have made. no one believes me , my mileage is 39 to 41 mpg is very good. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
JACK GILROY GWRRA CHAP D ma ama americade staff . chapter educator. & district educator Image

ladyff1481

Postby ladyff1481 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:13 pm

I just bought my 2nd Roadsmith Trike & I love it!
Roadsmith will be at Americade again this year.

TJNY

Postby TJNY » Fri May 25, 2012 11:43 pm

I have been doing much research on all the options out there, not sure what is best or best for my situation, I love 2 wheels but realize that I'm needing a 3 or 4 wheeler. I've spent hours researching, my mind says trike my Goldwing, my heart says trike my H-D Ultra Classic, my girlfriend says it's time to do something, I stress her out when I ride, well that is what she told me, sooooooooo??? I do like the Spyder Touring Reverse Trike, so I'm guessing if I don't arrive at Americade on a trike I will be demo riding many types, some a couple of times. I have the upmost respect for Fred Rau and I'd like to hear his take on the Spyder!!!

ladyff1481

Postby ladyff1481 » Sat May 26, 2012 1:41 am

Those of us that own trikes can tell you all about our trikes but you and only you can decide which trike is right for you. Luckily there will be several Trike manufacturers at Americade for comparison. Demo them all. The only Trike that really had a wait was the Spyders. Again they are offering pre-registration for the demos. Just go to the Can-Am website and register. (I know it was working earlier this week but might close down as Americade draws closer.) There is a Spyder dealer that was at the Can-Am tent last year handing out discount cards on a Spyder purchase. I think they were out of Vt or NH??? They seemed genuinely interested in earning our business. Unfortunately it was my husband who was more interested in the Spyder than me.

See my Trike and many others at Roadsmithtrikes.com. My Trike is the "Trike of the Month."

Return to “Trikes & 3-Wheelers”