Ice!

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

WCLamb
Staffer

Ice!

Postby WCLamb » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:07 am

Most of us seem to live in the northeast, and we've got our hands full with this late winter storm. I guess this is karma coming to get us for having such a mild winter. We're currently inundated with ice, coating the branches and have already had a few trees in the woods behind us shed their tops this morning.

Power went out around 8 a.m., and the new Generac picked up and is carrying the house right now, so electric power is not an issue -- for me at least. For neighbors, they're doing without, although I've extended an invitation to them to come over if they get cold (even with gas heat, it won't work without electricity to run the blower). I can only hope my friends in New England who will get the brunt of this storm can survive it with minimal disruption to their lives.

ROADCAPTAIN

Re: Ice!

Postby ROADCAPTAIN » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:36 am

WC
up north we have 12" that I can see, we just got home from Clearwater & Daytona yesterday @ 6:pm, by 8:30 the snow started to fall.
Just got the bike away & the trailer in the yard, sure wish we where back in Daytona 80* every day, riding in a T shirt.. :lol:
2004 GL1800,107,000 mi Dyna-Beads, DarkSider #494, Kuhmo Ecsta NR flat
2013 Ultra Classic
Bushtec Turbo + 2
Formerly Bassnman
1st Officer SCRC Chapter #173 North Jersey

rich703

Postby rich703 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Here in Westchester County NY storm was a little bit of a bust. Not as much snow or any of the high wind they were calling for. I am about 20 miles north of NYC, Been up since 4 am at work. Did some shoveling at work and had the chains on the fire trucks by 6 am ready to go. Got home around 730 am to see the wife off to her job as a FNP at an ER. All 3 kids got up by 8 happy that they had no school' which was cancelled yesterday at 3pm. I don't every remember them cancelling school the day before when i was young . LOL Fire is going and watching some You Tube videos of Americades from the past trying to see if I can find myself. 80 days to go!! I have to keep telling myself that as i shovel. Take care to all and be safe!!! I will be June 5th soon and we all can have a laugh about Stella over some Ice cream at Marth's
And in the end it is not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.”
― Abraham Lincoln

Dragonglide

Postby Dragonglide » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:18 pm

Damn near 2 feet of snow here in Sussex County... Can't really tell you how much other then it took all day to clear, killed one plow truck trans and the other one held in. We got stuck EVERYWHERE, there was snow, ice, snow, ice. But funny thing is, the tractor, decidingly not tempermental today, started and ran like a top all day long.
That was one CRAZY event... I'm off tomorrow to Virginia for a test on Thursday.... hoping all goes well. Glad to hear most, if not all are home safe and sound.

We're so close... but so far away!!!

Mainah

Postby Mainah » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Well we got 2+ feet of heavy wind packed snow. Finished clearing the drive and the snowblower decided it had enough so I'll have do the mailbox and the rest by hand. We only had two major storms this year but I'm ready for Spring. Anxious to get the bike out and take the top off the Jeep, although it's been a blessing to have that beast this Winter. Take care everyone and stay warm and dry till the weather changes for the better. :wink:
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

robndarci

Postby robndarci » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:38 pm

27inces of snow here in northeast PA..... Looking toi ride....this upsets my plans

Ken Clark

Postby Ken Clark » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:02 pm

We only had 30+"s here in central NY. Roads were closed for 2 days, but all is good now.

ladyff1481

Postby ladyff1481 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:10 pm

34" of snow here this week. Schools cancelled and most businesses closed as well but we at the VA stayed open for our Veterans. We had 2 show up and about 20 nurses and doctors. I am proud of my co-workers showing up ready to care for those who served for us.

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:34 pm

ROADCAPTAIN wrote:WC
up north we have 12" that I can see, we just got home from Clearwater & Daytona yesterday @ 6:pm, by 8:30 the snow started to fall.
Just got the bike away & the trailer in the yard, sure wish we where back in Daytona 80* every day, riding in a T shirt.. :lol:

I used to joke at riders from northern regions of the US and from Canada with trailering their rides to Daytona. Now I understand - you can't count Winter out ... not yet anyway.

GSinNC

The perfect snow !!

Postby GSinNC » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:57 pm

We had a very nice snow here last Sunday. Started just after midnight Saturday and snowed until about noon. Woke up to a winter wonderland with all trees and lawns covered with about an inch or 2 of fluffy white stuff. Sun came out and by 4:00 it was about all gone, roads dry and was able to rinse off the cars. Now THAT is the perfect snow. Back in the 60's this weekend and upper 70's early next week. :mrgreen:
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Ken Clark

Postby Ken Clark » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:55 pm

That is good to hear. We will be in the Greensboro and Charlotte area mid week

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Ken Clark wrote:That is good to hear. We will be in the Greensboro and Charlotte area mid week

By mid-week they are saying we will be in upper 70's close to 80! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Return to “General”