No Bushtec Again This Year

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

cybercader
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts/ The Still Great State of Florida

No Bushtec Again This Year

Postby cybercader » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:28 am

Sorry to see Bushtec absent again this year. Past years they made many deliveries at the Expo. Glad I got one a few years ago when the Preston's were still involved.
ImageImageImage

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Dragonglide

Re: No Bushtec Again This Year

Postby Dragonglide » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:12 am

TBH,
I don't think we will be seeing them at Americade anytime soon, which is very unfortunate. For years I hoped to win a trailer from them. So when the budget allows I'll have to get one. They make such nice trailers too, and I would have figured that Americade woulda been a big thing for them still. Sad to see..

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:22 am

A company that once again is missing one of the greatest congregations of its target audience? Small thinking at the top will not help the company succeed. Staying in survival mode is not the sign of a thriving company that believes in its product. Better to look elsewhere. Just my humble opinion.

nplenzick

Postby nplenzick » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:03 pm

As someone who did many motorcycle shows since 2005 I can tell you its no longer worth doing them any longer for the most part. It's why your seeing less and less vendors every year and or your seeing vendors who are carrying more and more non motorcycle products. Even on the TV show Shark Tank they'll roll their eyes when someone mentions that they do trade shows. It's simply no longer makes business sense. Unfortunately that's the cold hard truth. The people that run Americade do a great job but until potential customers actually start spending money instead of standing in someone's booth with their smart phone and complaining to the vendor they can get a $100 product for $95 with free shipping on the net, don't look for more vendors at these shows because its simply not going to happen.

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:00 pm

nplenzick wrote:As someone who did many motorcycle shows since 2005 I can tell you its no longer worth doing them any longer for the most part. It's why your seeing less and less vendors every year and or your seeing vendors who are carrying more and more non motorcycle products. Even on the TV show Shark Tank they'll roll their eyes when someone mentions that they do trade shows. It's simply no longer makes business sense. Unfortunately that's the cold hard truth. The people that run Americade do a great job but until potential customers actually start spending money instead of standing in someone's booth with their smart phone and complaining to the vendor they can get a $100 product for $95 with free shipping on the net, don't look for more vendors at these shows because its simply not going to happen.

Well said. Not sure about the true value of attending trade shows and events but it logically makes sense that vendors would have to weigh the cost vs amount of product sold and the internet comparison shoppers make it difficult I am sure. Sad but true.
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Mainah

Postby Mainah » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 am

Interesting how things work. When times were good for the cycle parts industry they expanded their presence at rallys. Now that business is slowing they are pulling back. A comment in the Laconia Rally News caught my eye, it said in effect. "The pie is only so big and if the companies you buy from have the mentality to come into town and eat as much as possible then leave, do you want to do business with them?" Our dollars the pie we have the choice to support the companies who support us. We can blindly support the big corporations who are interested in the bottom line or the companies run by enthusiasts who have found a way to make a living doing what they love. It's our money and our choice. I for one will try to support those who are in business for the love of the sport, whether it be motorcycles, Jeeps or whatever. An example, I learned about Twisted Throttle at the Expo and although I don't ride an adventure or sport bike, I found that they have products that I can use and I have bought several things (at the Expo) that I like. If I do buy an adventure bike they will be on my list of preferred suppliers.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

nplenzick

Postby nplenzick » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:37 pm

If only their were more people like you! Sadly your in the very tiny minority. When I first started my business in 2005 US motorcycle sales were around 1.2 million a year in 2008 they dropped into the 450K range and have pretty much stayed there. That's a huge drop. There's no one reason for it, but many reasons. IMOP it's not coming back anytime soon or maybe ever. That's the cold hard stark reality of it. Americade is a great event so have lots of fun there. Great people, great roads. Makes me sad that I'm no longer participating and sadder still that I may never do so in the future. :(

cybercader
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts/ The Still Great State of Florida

Postby cybercader » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:22 pm

While I agree, with the internet, it make less sense now for a retailer to attend a distant "trade show", there is still utility in manufacturers to do so. If I stand in a retailer's tent comparing prices on my phone and ordering the same product to my door at a lower price, that retailer does not make a sale. However, if I visit a manufacturer's tent and do the same, ultimately, they still make a sale.

Although TourExpo is not technically a "trade show", it is still important for manufacturers (Kuryakyn, Bushtec, Honda, ect. ) to get out, interact with their ultimate customers and show their latest offerings. Having John Preston talking about and demonstrating his trailers all those years played a large part in my purchase of a Bushtec trailer.

Looking forward to my 28th Americade, as I do every year. Hope to see lots of new and familiar faces!

Paul
ImageImageImage

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Mainah

Postby Mainah » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:40 am

nplenzick wrote:If only their were more people like you! Sadly your in the very tiny minority. When I first started my business in 2005 US motorcycle sales were around 1.2 million a year in 2008 they dropped into the 450K range and have pretty much stayed there. That's a huge drop. There's no one reason for it, but many reasons. IMOP it's not coming back anytime soon or maybe ever. That's the cold hard stark reality of it. Americade is a great event so have lots of fun there. Great people, great roads. Makes me sad that I'm no longer participating and sadder still that I may never do so in the future. :(

As I said I believe in supporting those that support the sport even if I don't buy at the expos. Every year as long as I can remember I've filled my saddle bags with catalogs from vendors to order from later in the year. Watching the J&P catalogs disappear from the rack makes me sure a lot do that. When I was actively building bikes I always looked to my stack of catalogs acquired at events first for parts. There is no way to tell how many did the same thing but I bet I wasn't the only one. We may order from the internet but we are loyal to those that display at our events.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm

cybercader wrote:While I agree, with the internet, it make less sense now for a retailer to attend a distant "trade show", there is still utility in manufacturers to do so. If I stand in a retailer's tent comparing prices on my phone and ordering the same product to my door at a lower price, that retailer does not make a sale. However, if I visit a manufacturer's tent and do the same, ultimately, they still make a sale.

Although TourExpo is not technically a "trade show", it is still important for manufacturers (Kuryakyn, Bushtec, Honda, ect. ) to get out, interact with their ultimate customers and show their latest offerings. Having John Preston talking about and demonstrating his trailers all those years played a large part in my purchase of a Bushtec trailer.

Looking forward to my 28th Americade, as I do every year. Hope to see lots of new and familiar faces!

Paul

The world is just changing and the way folks shop and buy is changing too. Not happy about it but it is just the cycle of things. Not sure if it will turn again but look at what happened to the cities in the 70's and 80's when everyone wanted to live in the burbs. Folks moved out of the cities and so did the shops and stores. Malls popped up everywhere. Now all we see is a resurgence of everyone wanting to live in or close to the downtown of the cities. I see it in Charlotte, Minneapolis, Roanoke, Knoxville, San Francisco and Los Angles. And what is happening to the malls that were so popular fully enclosed and climate controlled? They are all becoming OPEN AIR shopping centers. Just the cycle of things. I hope the motorcycle industry morphs the same way and we see events like Rider Rallies, Honda Hoot and others. I am seeing a lot of that in the BMW community but not sure about others. Our local dealer is hosting the 2nd Rally in the NC mountains next weekend. Last year was a blast with a handful of vendors and seminars. Very small but in a great facility The Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort! BMW MOA is also expanding the "getaway" events that are similar. I love the fact that Americade is bonding with Dirt Daze. Let's hope that injects some new life into this great event!
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:57 am

nplenzick wrote:As someone who did many motorcycle shows since 2005 I can tell you its no longer worth doing them any longer for the most part. It's why your seeing less and less vendors every year and or your seeing vendors who are carrying more and more non motorcycle products. Even on the TV show Shark Tank they'll roll their eyes when someone mentions that they do trade shows. It's simply no longer makes business sense. Unfortunately that's the cold hard truth. The people that run Americade do a great job but until potential customers actually start spending money instead of standing in someone's booth with their smart phone and complaining to the vendor they can get a $100 product for $95 with free shipping on the net, don't look for more vendors at these shows because its simply not going to happen.

I have a different take on it.

Why do the motorcycle vendors being their models to show off, let people touch them, even ride them? Is it so they can make a sale on the spot? No. It's to convince the potential buyer he is looking at the best product available and come to a purchasing decision.

If you bring nothing for your target audience to see then you've made a zero impression for any potential customers. And the competition scored a hit over you by going after the same target audience.

:)

nplenzick

Postby nplenzick » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:56 pm

"I have a different take on it.

Why do the motorcycle vendors being their models to show off, let people touch them, even ride them? Is it so they can make a sale on the spot? No. It's to convince the potential buyer he is looking at the best product available and come to a purchasing decision.

If you bring nothing for your target audience to see then you've made a zero impression for any potential customers. And the competition scored a hit over you by going after the same target audience.

:)[/quote]

Motorcycle manufactures such as Honda, HD, Yamaha, whoever don't expect to sell their bikes at trade shows. For them its cheap advertising in front of a target audience. Everyone else expects to make money, people selling trailers, clothing, accessories , and anything else. I know of no one who doesn't bring a sizable inventory to any show. The problem is your taking home almost all of what you brought. That's not a opinion its a fact. So when you spend $6-10k in expenses for a 10 x 20, you do all the work of setting up, selling, hiring help, breaking down, traveling to and from and you don't brake even let alone make money and you don't see any results on your website, what's the point of doing it? Even at Americade attendance is way off what it was ten years ago. Motel vacancies abound and the same can be said for all of the big rallies. All rallies are way off, not just down, way off! Even the once popular BMWMOA national along with the GWRRA's Wing Ding haven't done well the last couple of years. Small events like the popular Finger Lakes BMW rally at Watkins Glen Labor day weekend are barely hanging own. At one time that event had twenty great vendors for the 1200-1400 people that showed up. Now their lucky they get half the attendance and maybe one or two vendors at most. I've done many small and large events since 2005 and the last two years it simply wasn't worth it. The IMS shows have really cut back their schedule to half of what they use to be and I wouldn't be surprised in another year or two they simply go away. So for us we'll only do a few events for fun in areas we wish to visit and put our effort into a Amazon store which in only its first month seems way more promising then any trade show we have done in the past few years.

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 pm

nplenzick wrote:So when you spend $6-10k in expenses for a 10 x 20, you do all the work of setting up, selling, hiring help, breaking down, traveling to and from and you don't brake even let alone make money and you don't see any results on your website, what's the point of doing it?

I see something in what you said. I still prefer to see the vendors bringing their wares so I can see them, touch them, and ask questions. Because I do shop around, take notes, go home, ruminate, and make an ordering decision.

It is a Catch-22 for you guys.

I'm surprised at the cost of owning a space for several days. The business environment has to be friendly for all concerned. Let everyone make a couple of bucks but let's not get too greedy.

rich703

Postby rich703 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:04 am

What is the price for a spot at the expo? Is it to much to make a profit for the smaller vendors? Is it like the town of LG and the hotels how they price gouging for the week of Americade? You can stay at the same hotel same room the fallowing week and it would probably be $100 less a night. I believe you can bit the hand that feeds you only so many times before there is no more food. Americade numbers hasn't been as big in the past.My uncle tells me when he started going 30 some years ago the traffic to get in to the village was backed all the way to 149 near the Mohican motel and had to wait hours to get there. I've been going for the last 10 and I've seen the numbers lowered. I know weather plays a part and money too. I am fortunate to have a good job and an loving wife who knows how much the little get away means to me I look forward to the trip with my uncle and friends every year.I dont buy much at the expo. Some shirts and I always restock on my Flitz polish.
And in the end it is not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.”
― Abraham Lincoln

Ameri-helper

Postby Ameri-helper » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:45 pm

What is the price for a spot at the expo? Is it to much to make a profit for the smaller vendors?

$550- for a 10 x 10. This year we are happy to note that there are many new vendors. More than last year. It costs Americade well over $200,000 to rent the area, and install everything: generators, wiring, signage, fencing, toilets, offices. :?

Return to “General”