Really Hope this ends well!

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

FrankJ

Really Hope this ends well!

Postby FrankJ » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:14 pm

CitySweeper

Re: Really Hope this ends well!

Postby CitySweeper » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Post Star reports that DEC found him in a stream off Dippikill Road in Northern Warren County. It appears he had an accident with his bike.

Godspeed Mr. Vanderhoof and God bless you family.

WCLamb
Staffer

Postby WCLamb » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:47 am

Unfortunately this did not end as well as it might have.
Link to Post*Star article

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:20 am

WCLamb wrote:

The only other possibility I can think of (and I'm reluctant to say) is that some individuals have, in the past, volunteered for staff duty, accepted their room and clothing and then just vanished for the week, leaving Americade "holding the bag."

Really? I didn't know that was possible. That's really a shame. I suggest putting mechanisms in place so deadbeats don't get away with it.

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:28 am

WCLamb wrote:Unfortunately this did not end as well as it might have.
Link to Post*Star article

So sad. Incredible that he left his cell phone at his camper. I assume that the area had cell coverage. Even if the area had no coverage the authorities have equipment to find a cell phone's signal.

Always carry your cell phone as standard equipment.

Suzanne

Postby Suzanne » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:55 pm

We are very sad to share the news of Mike Vanderhoof's passing. ​We have no details beyond what was written in the news​,​ and are terribly sorry to learn about this. We are in touch with Mike's family, and are offering support to them during this incredibly difficult time.

I'm sure I speak for you when I say that the many volunteers and staff and fellow riders that make up the Americade family were hoping against hope ​for​ a miraculous end to this.

We have extended our deep condolences directly to Mike's family. We will update this post as more information becomes available, and will share the specifics about Mike's funeral services.

Lastly, we want to thank the many police agencies involved in this extensive search.

Dragonglide

Postby Dragonglide » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:11 pm

We saw this on tv when we were getting ready to leav eon Sunday morning, I was definitely worried about the outcome. I was very saddened to hear this ended as it did.
We were speaking at some point about "eperbs" for motorcycles and how they are very useful on long trips. This makes me think, aside from my cell phone, that I should invest in one. Being a volunteer is special, so losing a volunteer is especially saddening.
I give the family my condolences. Very big bummer.

Return to “General”