No Bushtec Again This Year

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

Dragonglide

Re: No Bushtec Again This Year

Postby Dragonglide » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:53 am

Ok so...

Yer tellin me, $550 for a ten by ten. That seems relatively affordable for most vendors. I was hearing rumors of this costing THOUSANDS..... To me, if yer a good businessman you should be able to recover $550 pretty quick.
What bother's me is that when I first started coming, vendors made deals, nowadays it seems they are not willing to budge on anything. I understand overhead and business cost, but man, when there is such a small market and season for products, I would figure you would do as much as you could to showcase and push product.
I was ready to buy a few items a couple years ago with cash in hand and a reasonable offer... and the vendors said nope.... So I was forced to either go without product or get it online.
Now, could the online market be something that hurts the vendors? Sure I think so. But wouldn't you want to give it a shot?

I dunno, I just dont know. I love being able to see the vendors wares though. I am a tactile person. I want to see your gloves, trailers, windscreens before I purchase one. I'd also like the purchase to be immediate. Christmas kid syndrome.

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:03 am

So let me understand .... the vendor spends $$ to rent space at the expo and brings product so you see, touch and try it. The vendor explains what the price is (the price that covers his cost and provides him a profit) and then you buy the product on-line from someone who may not have any of that overhead and did not schlep the product miles for you to see. And you don't understand why vendors are not coming to events???
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Dragonglide

Postby Dragonglide » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:08 pm

Ed,

This is going to go around and around and around in circles. You're point is well put and I am wrong. I see what you are saying. But one of my main points there is that the rumor was how ridiculously expensive it was to rent space.

I would think that they would make some sort of deal at the show. I'm not saying give your items away, but some of the prices... they were out of the ballpark.

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Dragonglide wrote:Ed,

This is going to go around and around and around in circles. You're point is well put and I am wrong. I see what you are saying. But one of my main points there is that the rumor was how ridiculously expensive it was to rent space.

I would think that they would make some sort of deal at the show. I'm not saying give your items away, but some of the prices... they were out of the ballpark.

Agreed. Unfortunately everyone wants to make a buck. Was just at a Rally this weekend in Western NC that was sponsored by our Charlotte MC dealer. It was FREE! It was held at a great MC venue called Iron Horse MC Resort. The dealer had a vendor or 2 there and had speakers from about 1/2 dozen MC related topics including NGK, Continental, etc. This was the 2nd year and it was GREAT! Lots of tire kicking and meeting of new friends. BUT ... it was something the dealer was willing to put in the interest of goodwill. We all support the local dealer and this type of consideration on his part cements that relationship. When you get to an event like Americade everyone wants a cut and it is not done solely for goodwill. It does help the vendors and the industry but today a lot of things are based on dollars. That is unfortunate for sure. I too thought that the cost of a space was much greater. But for some small vendors $500 is a big nut. Let's hope the industry picks up and we see improvement. But what is really needed is for folks to put their emotions before their wallets. That goes for the buyers too. Every hard wall retailer today is having the same issues. There is a cost to having product to see and touch and it is near impossible for THOSE retailers to compete with the internet companies.
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

ROADCAPTAIN

Postby ROADCAPTAIN » Fri May 26, 2017 6:15 am

I recently heard that Andrew Preston has taken over the "Bushtec Operations", hopefully this improvement w/ get Bushtec moving again..
after all this thread is about Bushtec not showing up again, right??
2004 GL1800,107,000 mi Dyna-Beads, DarkSider #494, Kuhmo Ecsta NR flat
2013 Ultra Classic
Bushtec Turbo + 2
Formerly Bassnman
1st Officer SCRC Chapter #173 North Jersey

cybercader
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts/ The Still Great State of Florida

Postby cybercader » Fri May 26, 2017 10:33 am

ROADCAPTAIN wrote:I recently heard that Andrew Preston has taken over the "Bushtec Operations", hopefully this improvement w/ get Bushtec moving again.

Well if that's the case, it is good news. Andrew was great to work with. He shares his dad's passion for the brand. All the new management I spoke to sounded like "bean counters"; they could have been just as well talking about making coffee makers, or lawn tractors. Hopefully, they'll let him run with it.

10 days!

Paul
ImageImageImage

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Pat Hillyard

Postby Pat Hillyard » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:43 pm

$500 to $550 for a vendor space is reasonable, but Busted required at least ten spots. That is $5'000 to $5'500 before a break even point is reached.
I ran into Andrew Preston at the AIMExpo in Columbus, Oh today. He told me that Busted is no longer associated with Bunkhouse Trailers and is under new ownership. The. New owners asked Andrew to be the General Manager.
Andrew needs to work things out with the company owners, but he wants to attend four rally's every year, Daytona, Americade, Wing Ding and Sturgis. I think that would be great.
I think that Andrew would need to speak with the Butchers, to be certain that Busted is getting the space that they need.
Andrew definitely is like his father. He told me that he would be looking to do deliveries at all four rally locations. That's very smart, letting people see the product at one of the rallies, then delivering the trailer at a rally whenever the person is ready to buy.

cybercader
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts/ The Still Great State of Florida

Postby cybercader » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks! That's great news. Maybe Andrew can get things turned around. I would hate to see a great brand like Bushtec go down.

Paul
ImageImageImage

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

michaelcycle

Postby michaelcycle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:50 pm

I dealt with John Preston back in 1993 and ordered a trailer and it was delivered at Americade where he also installed the hitch on my wing. A few years later (maybe 10) at Americade I had a small issue with a shock insert and he told me to bring it in and he spent about an hour and a half going through the whole suspension and did it at no cost. :D That's what I call great service! It's still running as good as new with many thousands of miles on it.

Take care, Mike
Mike Carroll

I spent most of my life on my motorcycle, the rest I just wasted. " Author unknown"

rich703

Postby rich703 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Amazon Prime, Google search, and internet shopping Its killing shops/malls all over america. So the fee is $550 for a 10X10 space how is it done for vendors with trailers? When you think about it 10X10 isn't that large when your selling motorcycle parts/stuff. Its the sign of the times. My uncle has been doing Americade for ever has only miss 2 of them. He tells me stories of long lines and how they had two locations for the Expo. I have been doing it for 10 years now and I have seen it shrink too. I love Americade and LG and look forward every year so I hope it stays around so I can bring my sons.
And in the end it is not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.”
― Abraham Lincoln

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:34 am

rich703 wrote:Amazon Prime, Google search, and internet shopping Its killing shops/malls all over america. So the fee is $550 for a 10X10 space how is it done for vendors with trailers? When you think about it 10X10 isn't that large when your selling motorcycle parts/stuff. Its the sign of the times. My uncle has been doing Americade for ever has only miss 2 of them. He tells me stories of long lines and how they had two locations for the Expo. I have been doing it for 10 years now and I have seen it shrink too. I love Americade and LG and look forward every year so I hope it stays around so I can bring my sons.

You raise an excellent point. I'm sure the price of a space takes into consideration the price of doing business: Payroll + utility offsets + liabilities + taxes + profit margin. If the old formulas of doing business can't or won't adapt with the Internet as you mentioned, then its time has come and gone.

I too like to keep seeing the vendors come to show their stuff to sell but we have to recognize their realities. And those drivers that make the payrolls, utility offsets, liabilities, taxes, and profit margins happen have to recognize new realities too.

Taking one element of that I for one question the need for sales taxes when the state already taxes everything else and everybody in multiple imaginative ways on top of that too. If not a rescind of sales taxes then how about tax exemptions or tax holidays to help serve as a business pump? How is that going to hurt anybody?

ROADCAPTAIN

Postby ROADCAPTAIN » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:57 am

Ryck
your right the sales tax on MC accessorie's or tax @ the Expo should be reduced or eliminated for Americade week, thus generating more sales, more people, higher profits for the entire town, everyone makes out!!
It'll never happen
:P :P :roll: :roll:
2004 GL1800,107,000 mi Dyna-Beads, DarkSider #494, Kuhmo Ecsta NR flat
2013 Ultra Classic
Bushtec Turbo + 2
Formerly Bassnman
1st Officer SCRC Chapter #173 North Jersey

Return to “General”