2018 wing

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

Ken Clark

2018 wing

Postby Ken Clark » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:40 pm

I know most have either given up on motorcycling or have jumped on the Harley band wagon. But Honda has just intoduced the new 2018 goldwing. Looks loke a keeper

WCLamb
Staffer

Re: 2018 wing

Postby WCLamb » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:58 pm

The news and pictures of the new one have caught my attention! Unfortunately, what I'm seeing is that it won't be available until February of next year, which postpones my return to the highway. With the problems I've been having with my clutch hand preventing my riding, having a DCT automatic transmission might be just what the doctor ordered.

I tried a Can/Am Spyder RT LTD with the auto trans but did not feel comfortable riding it as it tended to "wander" as it followed the ruts in the road. Granted, it was a short trial ride on a hot day on an unfamiliar road which may have prevented me from getting a better feel for it... but taking an unfamiliar machine out onto a busy highway wouldn't have made me feel any more comfortable. Talking with Carl Kuni who has one close-by, he said that it takes about 10-20 hours of riding one to get comfortable with the change in riding styles, but he's quite happy with his. I don't know... This new Wing might let me get back to riding while staying on two wheels. I think I'll just wait until I can try the new Wing. According to the publication I read, it WILL be available in white pearl!

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:55 am

I finally got to demo the GoldWing at this Americade. I didn't know what I was missing. I understand why it is the gold standard of motorcycle touring.

The price is up there, however.

I wish Honda would add a smaller but still equipped-to-the-max 1,000cc model. Can't call it the SilverWing. Who was the dope that named a really nice Honda scooter by this name? Anyway I know an Americade volunteer who traded his Honda GoldWing for the Suzuki Burgman 650. I demo-ed that bike too once. Nice scooter. If you are a solo rider and pack lightly, I can see the Burgman being a tourer too.

Ken Clark

Postby Ken Clark » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:28 am

Now Ryck you will have demo the new and improved goldwing

Mainah

Postby Mainah » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Been pretty quiet here, guess it took a new touring bike to get some of the lurkers to post. I've been checking in from time to time but just looking. That new wing looks like a winner, not my style but it has all the bells and whistles anyone could want for a long trip. I did see Rider comment that it wasn't as "plush" as before? Not sure what that means, hope it is as comfortable as it was. Also it is a little smaller and lighter which probably wont affect riding but may help mileage. If I were in the market for a new bike I would give it a try, but I will probably stick with the Glide.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:36 am

Mainah wrote:Been pretty quiet here, guess it took a new touring bike to get some of the lurkers to post. I've been checking in from time to time but just looking. That new wing looks like a winner, not my style but it has all the bells and whistles anyone could want for a long trip. I did see Rider comment that it wasn't as "plush" as before? Not sure what that means, hope it is as comfortable as it was. Also it is a little smaller and lighter which probably wont affect riding but may help mileage. If I were in the market for a new bike I would give it a try, but I will probably stick with the Glide.

I think smart phones and social media intrudes on the time people had to go to online via PCs and bulletin boards.

I thought the GoldWing F6B was the "little smaller and lighter" GoldWing having dropped the big rear trunk. Then you have the GoldWing Valkyrie which drops just about everything else. They all have the same basic frame and engine. So the added bulk of the full GoldWing is what makes it bigger and heavier but I don't think by much.

Ken Clark

Postby Ken Clark » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:39 am

I am talking about the completely redesigned 2018 goldwing. Google it to see it

Mainah

Postby Mainah » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:45 am

Ryck wrote:[

I thought the GoldWing F6B was the "little smaller and lighter" GoldWing having dropped the big rear trunk. Then you have the GoldWing Valkyrie which drops just about everything else. They all have the same basic frame and engine. So the added bulk of the full GoldWing is what makes it bigger and heavier but I don't think by much.

Here is the Rider Mag article on the new Wing. http://ridermagazine.com/2017/10/24/2018-honda-gold-wing-first-ride-review/
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Pat Hillyard

Postby Pat Hillyard » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:48 pm

W.C.
Besides the new wing, there is another great new touring bike coming out, the BMW Grand America. You may want to consider this bike too. The new Wing has reduced size saddlebags and trunk while the Grand America is the K1600B with a top box. I understand that the BMW has 5 liter more storage space than the new wing. It also has Shift Assist Pro which allows clutch less upshifts and downshifts. I believe that they are comparably priced. I know that you love your Wings, but please don't pass up looking at the Grand America. I'm hoping that BMW will have it at the NYC International Motorcycle Show.

WCLamb
Staffer

Postby WCLamb » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:40 am

Pat Hillyard wrote:"...I know that you love your Wings, but please don't pass up looking at the Grand America..."

Pat -
One of the selling points of any bike (for me, at least) is having a dealership for servicing and support nearby, and in my case I have a Honda dealer within a fifteen minute ride from home. BMW? The only BMW dealership around here closed a long time ago. The closest one now is "over the river and through the woods" to PA, on the other side of Philly, over 40 miles away. Next closest is about 70 miles. That's a long way off! That makes a trip for routine servicing into a day-long affair. That's just a bit too inconvenient, since I don't wrench on my own bike any more.

Note that my riding plans for retirement changed significantly when my partners -- Lois, and Mary before her -- both passed away leaving me sans co-rider -- and the desire to go wandering alone across the USA for weeks and months at a time -- well, let's just say that my priorities have changed significantly. My riding plans have been trimmed to simply staying in the northeast/north-central/east coast US making the need for loading tons of luggage in the trailer moot. Wanderlust abates with age, too, I guess. That said...

I DID stop in at my local Honda/Yamaha/Polaris dealership yesterday and put a major deposit on a brand new Wing, a white tourer (with trunk), DCT, and all the farkles Honda has to offer so far (except for the air-bag). Yes, I loved my '98 1500s, the silver one and the white one, and even though the current one has only half the miles (~60K) of the previous one, I've ridden it for the last ten years and my ability to continue riding it with my current issues using the clutch doesn't bode well for keeping it. I certainly can't justify keeping it if it isn't ridden! At least maybe I'll get a decent price on trade-in. I'm sure there are still some riders out there looking for a pristine 1500 with all the bells and whistles.

The new Wing will be here in February or thereabouts.

Ken Clark

Postby Ken Clark » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:08 am

congratulations on the new wing WC. Would like to demo one myself. But my 02 is hardly broke in and I have only had it 15 years. And we won't even mention the hardly ridden 2011 harley

cybercader
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts/ The Still Great State of Florida

Postby cybercader » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:19 pm

WCLamb wrote:I DID stop in at my local Honda/Yamaha/Polaris dealership yesterday and put a major deposit on a brand new Wing, a white tourer (with trunk),

White, so it will match with your belt and shoes.......Congratulations!

Paul
ImageImageImage

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:35 pm

cybercader wrote:
WCLamb wrote:I DID stop in at my local Honda/Yamaha/Polaris dealership yesterday and put a major deposit on a brand new Wing, a white tourer (with trunk),

White, so it will match with your belt and shoes.......Congratulations!

Paul

Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Pat Hillyard

Postby Pat Hillyard » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:15 pm

WC,
I couldn't get any decent photos but they had a white there. Boy is it WHITE. I'm certain that you are going to love your new ride.
I'm seriously looking at the BMW K1600 GTL and the K1600 Grand America. I think that I'm going to end up with a blue GTL, which is a color that hasn't been listed on their website.

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:49 pm

Pat Hillyard wrote:WC,
I couldn't get any decent photos but they had a white there. Boy is it WHITE. I'm certain that you are going to love your new ride.
I'm seriously looking at the BMW K1600 GTL and the K1600 Grand America. I think that I'm going to end up with a blue GTL, which is a color that hasn't been listed on their website.

That new blue is a special order and looks amazing. My dealer has one on the floor with the hand done white pin striping. Sweet!

White must be the hot new color for 2018 as the BMW RT is offered in white for 2018 and while at first I did not like it after seeing it in person it has won my heart.

WC ..... the White Wing is a blank canvas for some tasteful pin striping or graphics. Keep in mind I said tasteful! :mrgreen:

Looking forward to seeing you cruising Canada Street on the new ride!
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Return to “General”