TOUR EXPO

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

ROADCAPTAIN

TOUR EXPO

Postby ROADCAPTAIN » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:22 pm

went to the Expo today, the location is good, the vendors where plenty, the site itself is like walking through a park, it's very nice & a big improvement from the previous lot..
Hopefully more & more vendors will show-up every year & keep the Cade going for many years to come.

Pat G
2004 GL1800,115,000 mi Dyna-Beads, DarkSider #494, Mich Alpin RF
2013 Ultra Classic
Bushtec Turbo + 2
Formerly Bassnman
1st Officer SCRC Chapter #173 North Jersey

W. P. Schreiber

Re: TOUR EXPO

Postby W. P. Schreiber » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:02 pm

I, someone who HATES change, was very skeptical of the new location of the Expo, and the registration move from the Holiday Inn. Signing in on Monday went smoother than ever, and the Expo was actually perfect, WAY better than the old location. Having attended the Adirondack Nationals, we are familiar with the new venue, but the Americade setup was even more logical and was a pleasure to walk through. We spent all day there on Tuesday, had lunch, AND dinner, and didn't have to go "off roading " to park, a VERY welcome change. I couldn't be more happy with the changes!

WCLamb
Staffer

Postby WCLamb » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:55 am

I hate to be a wet blanket, but for those with a mobility impairment, the TourExpo changes were not good for those with HP permits and no designated parking area near an entrance as in years past. Initial concerns expressed earlier and met with responses to allay those concerns... well, the plans did not work out. Those who were directing parking in the TourExpo area had little discretion in getting HP attendees in and out of the grounds easily, with no designated parking at all, and the poor (IMHO) placement of fencing around Charles Wood Park meant a long hike around the fence just to get in from Westbrook Road parking area.

RhodeTrip

Postby RhodeTrip » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Most of us directing traffic would agree with you; we took much abuse for an issue outside of our control. There is much hat must be discussed before next year.
Jim
Jim
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere

FrankJ

Postby FrankJ » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:08 am

Some comments; enjoyed Americade, I liked the weather, cloudy and cooler, but no major rain.

Each year Americade seems to "pack" in more things in an area. Fort William Henry is not a place I'll bring my bike in to, getting way too crowded and if there's a major rain event, parking on the grass would be tough, same for Tour Expo rain on the grass where most of the vendors are located would make for a soggy walk.

Americade usually plans well for the event,but when going to Tour Expo Tuesday just before opening, I was parking on WestBrook Rd, all the large orange barrels were either on the sidewalk or against the curb, no one parking there could figure out what was going on, can we park where the barrels are in the spaces?, is this the free parking? No signage any where.However later in the day the barrels were in the middle of the road so you could park on both sides and signs showing it's one way and free motorcycle signs on the parking tickets machines; just surprised they had initially missed this.

Canada street detour disaster. Could not believe they left the stop light running red & green, for a short time they were flashing yellow and traffic flowed a little better. I was sitting on a bench right where the detour turned and because traffic would back up, at times only a few bikes, and I mean a few, would get thru before it turned red and worst of all not a single police officer around to direct and assist the traffic, saw many of them walking around, but who at Americade decided there was no need to have police help with this!!

Frank

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Having attended over 25 Americades and not liking change I was pleased with the new Expo location. It also afforded easy paved parking. Hope it gets even better next year. Registration was ok and location was an easy walk for those staying IN town. Line was long on Monday but moved well.

We only experienced the Friday stunt shows which wear good. Not sure why they scheduled the 2nd show at 7:30 the same time the Friday celebration was taking place.

We stay in town so the traffic was not an issue for us. But totally agree with the need to change the traffic signals to allow right on red onto Canada street.

The stunt show was really good but it just seemed the changes with closure of Canada street, Harley style stunt show and beer vendors in numerous locations just seemed like Americade was trending toward more of a “bike week” style event. No doubt that seems to be where a lot of events are headed and I’m sure that is where the money resides and a good business move. I just remember when Americade and Lake George frowned on loud pipes, now it seemed they may be embracing them.

Regardless it’s still a great event and we’ll be back in 2019 for sure
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

ROADCAPTAIN

Postby ROADCAPTAIN » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:11 pm

didn't care for the block party, we miss all the bikes going up & down on Canada St, we went on friday nite, but, skipped saturday nite..
Next year I'll skip the whole block party thing, not worth it to me & my crew..
2004 GL1800,115,000 mi Dyna-Beads, DarkSider #494, Mich Alpin RF
2013 Ultra Classic
Bushtec Turbo + 2
Formerly Bassnman
1st Officer SCRC Chapter #173 North Jersey

Truck

Postby Truck » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:10 pm

My .02. Offered as constructive criticism for those who make decisions.

Tour expo location was better than expected, just need to get more vendors, get some of those that left back. I would think with a new Goldwing just released many companies have accessories that are wanted. When I owned a wing I made a lot of purchases at Americade. Progressive shocks, Avon tires, Baker Airwings, and many more most of which are no longer here for some reason. (not speculating or trying to start anything just stating fact).

Before attending the year and trying to picture how traffic was going to flow all I could see was a bottle neck. Watching it in real life proved I was correct. Not sure what the reasoning is for closing the street but I would chalk it up as a failed experiment.

I have been attending since 2001, I now pretty much purchase a one day pass and a parking pass and the rest of the time (week) is spent riding the area. We will continue to attend whether changes are made or not. I wish continued success to Americade.

Motorhead51

Postby Motorhead51 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:29 am

just as I thought no handicapped parking for expo to be found anywhere,if you parked on westbrook road good luck on getting to an entrance if you have a walking problem!!!!! Charging the Vendors too much to attend so I am not surprised more are not attending!!!! :roll:
8) ICE COLD BEER WORKS FOR ME 8)

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:50 am

FrankJ wrote:
Canada street detour disaster. Could not believe they left the stop light running red & green, for a short time they were flashing yellow and traffic flowed a little better. I was sitting on a bench right where the detour turned and because traffic would back up, at times only a few bikes, and I mean a few, would get thru before it turned red and worst of all not a single police officer around to direct and assist the traffic, saw many of them walking around, but who at Americade decided there was no need to have police help with this!!

I noticed that too. The kicker is that the police were there sitting under the lights chillin instead of doing something about the pedestrian/vehicle traffic. The pedestrians were crossing on red, green, and everything in between causing bikers and motorists to get annoyed and aggressive. I think the flashing yellow is a hindrance during peak times because that won't control pedestrian traffic.

This was the first time with the block party idea so kinks will show up. I like the block party idea. Maybe there are lessons learned for next year.

rich703

Postby rich703 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Ryck wrote:
FrankJ wrote:

I noticed that too. The kicker is that the police were there sitting under the lights chillin instead of doing something about the pedestrian/vehicle traffic.

PBA meeting. LOL :P
And in the end it is not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.”
― Abraham Lincoln

Return to “General”