My 2019

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

tnichols

My 2019

Postby tnichols » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:53 pm

After attending Americade for 20+ years, I think I am taking a year off. I have ridden just about every road in the area and without Harley being there for a second year in a row, Americade just doesn't feel the same. Anybody else taking a break in 2019? If so, why?

Ameri-helper

Re: My 2019

Postby Ameri-helper » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 am

First, thank you for coming for 20+ years, and being such an involved participant. We've benefited from having you as an attendee. Really.

Harley's absence from Americade (and other events) DOES feel odd, but we're still blessed with hosting more motorcycle factories than any other event in the U.S.

Harley was always a great supporter of Americade, and though they're wrestling with some big issues, we expect that they will return to Americade, because Americade remains a particularly unique and bright spot on the motorcycling calendar.

Yes, we too have experienced some transitions, but we remain committed to offering everyone excellent rides and meals and entertainment, social events that only happen at Americade (eg, The Round Table), and an expo that still allows us to pick and choose among the best vendors. Americade feels different from other rallies because we work year round to make it so. And, we also pay close attention to the feedback we get from our attendees like you. In a moment, I'll respond to another post on this forum about offering a trike class again. (It's a great idea) If you have any suggestions, please feel free to post them here. We ARE listening and always learning.

Thank you again for coming to Americade for so many years,

FrankJ

Postby FrankJ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Ameri-helper wrote:First, thank you for coming for 20+ years, and being such an involved participant. We've benefited from having you as an attendee. Really.

Harley's absence from Americade (and other events) DOES feel odd, but we're still blessed with hosting more motorcycle factories than any other event in the U.S.

Harley was always a great supporter of Americade, and though they're wrestling with some big issues, we expect that they will return to Americade, because Americade remains a particularly unique and bright spot on the motorcycling calendar.

Yes, we too have experienced some transitions, but we remain committed to offering everyone excellent rides and meals and entertainment, social events that only happen at Americade (eg, The Round Table), and an expo that still allows us to pick and choose among the best vendors. Americade feels different from other rallies because we work year round to make it so. And, we also pay close attention to the feedback we get from our attendees like you. In a moment, I'll respond to another post on this forum about offering a trike class again. (It's a great idea) If you have any suggestions, please feel free to post them here. We ARE listening and always learning.

Thank you again for coming to Americade for so many years,

Hi Ameri-helper, just a quick comment it's nice to see responses coming to questions, I feel a response like the one quoted here, puts a "face" to a question instead of the feeling the website has been abandoned.

I've been coming for 20 years and although I've not liked some of the changes; everything squeezed in to Fort William Henry and the block party on Canada St, been changed because you listen to the feedback!, I still love the area, Americade, the motel we've stayed at for 18 years and just having motorcycles every where.

Bottom line, if Americade didn't care they wouldn't continue to try and improve and they do that by listening and making changes.

Looking forward to this June, already registered, and watch Americade videos when it snows

Frank

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:14 pm

Are you kidding? I enjoy Americade very much!! In the last 17 years I only missed one year.

I like the same great roads, scenery, restaurants, stores, lakes, and tours. I put on extreme mileage on my bike both on familiar roads and places and new roads and places. Look forward to new tours.

I'm missing 2019 (this year) because of injury. Not to worry - not a motorcycle related injury. It's 50/50 that I'll be fully recovered for Americade. I didn't want to hog a motel spot with odds like that that I won't be able to go. That would not be fair.

Hope to be ready and able for 2020.

I'll be missing everyone and everything this 2019 Americade. Have a great week!!

:)

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:04 am

I just wanted to say that I have attended every year since 1990 except for 3 years. Having Harley or any one (or 2) vendors or manufacturers missing would not in itself cause me to not attend. Over the 26 times I have attended the way I enjoy Americade has changed. I used to love doing demo rides on all the new and cool bikes and would do 4 or 5 demo rides a day, would take a boat cruise every year and walk Canada Street for hours. These days I may do one or two demos if there is something exciting or unique to ride but what I have come to really enjoy is meeting up with the close friends I have made over the years at the motel where we stay. Spending time with the 5 or so "Americade Friends" is what makes the trip fun! That and seeing all the diverse motorcycles on Canada Street. We always make a trip up to Hot Biscuit for strawberry shortcake and may do another day ride during the week. So missing one or a few vendors would not change the enjoyment I have for this event. Walking to the Expo and checking out all the items on sale ... even if I have nothing specific to buy is fun. There truly is no other event like Americade!
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Ameri-helper

Postby Ameri-helper » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:05 am

Ed,

We often think about the social connection that Americade represents, and wonder how we can improve it. Though everyone has their own places where they socialize, we've thought that if we provided a main/central one, that was comfortable, scenic and easy to get to, it might be a popular place to congregate. It would be known by all the attendees, and those who choose to use it could easily do so.

Do you think this concept has any merit? If so, what additional thoughts do you have that might help us carve it out well?

Thanks.

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:47 pm

Hmmm .... That does sound like an interesting concept and if I understand correctly it would be kind of a big meeting space with a scenic location. I picture a kind of large picnic or covered area and maybe have coffee, snacks or food trucks? Ironically that was how I viewed the Roaring Brook Ranch back when the demos were held there. It was a pretty setting and was nice to just hang out even if not doing a demo but it lacked the seating areas other than in the demo tents. I think something like that would be a welcome addition especially if there was say free coffee and water? And reasonable food / snacks. I miss the Hot Dog cart at Roaring Brook.

That being said ... many of the friendships I have built over the years have come from the motels where I've stayed. Mostly the Lido Motel on the north end of town. More than half the folks return every year and there is always time at the end of the day to hang out with an adult beverage and share your stories of the day, compare notes on what you saw at the Expo, etc. That has become my favorite part of Americade along with walking Canada Street in the evenings to check out the bikes. Americade is sort of the "catalyst" if you will that brings us together but once there each attendee has the ability to customize Americade to their own likes and dislikes. I have said numerous times that each of us experiences Americade differently and that is a good thing. We all have options and can make the experience our own. That is what I love about Americade. It is just fun being there in Lake George with all the motorcycles and friendly people riding all types of motorcycles.

Sorry to ramble on but hope this helps. I am sure it is not easy managing an event like Americade at a time when motorcycle ridership is shrinking. I hope you find within your bag of tricks a way to entice the young riders as they are the future for sure.
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Mainah

Postby Mainah » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:35 am

The porch at FWH would be a good location and if the weather didn't cooperate the Tavern is right there. For those walking, adult beverages are available to wash away the dust after a day of riding.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Ameri-helper

Postby Ameri-helper » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:45 am

Ed and Mainah,

Thanks for the input. We're chewing on it.

Stay tuned,

FrankJ

Postby FrankJ » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:17 am

I t would be nice to have a "common" meeting area close to town with it's own parking, easy in and out, food truck rally is an idea, probably too late this year, they are popular around here.

I know Sportline Honda in Queensbury hosts a free BBQ given by a local church it was well attended by Americaders, think it ran from 12-2 and they had a large tent set up, now if there was one during Americade wouldn't expect it to be free, but the key to their success was it was advertised in the Americade program and that's what got myself and others to go.

Frank

Ameri-helper

Postby Ameri-helper » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:35 am

Good Morning,

Thank you for the idea Frank, and yes it is a bit late for this years Americade, but we will keep it in mind for future years to come. The feedback that we get from our attendees is always very welcomed and we take into account all ideas and try to build from them.

Return to “General”