Block Party Question

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

FrankJ

Block Party Question

Postby FrankJ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:54 pm

It says Canada street closed for 2 days for the block party on the schedule, but I only see one day, Saturday 6pm, probably missing the other day, but what day is it?

Also what time of the day will the street actually be closed, if the concert starts at 6pm there must be some set up time earlier than that.Nice to have music, but Canada street at night, and during the afternoon, was a great time to just walk around and check out all the bikes, the street came alive, but it looks like that part of Americade may be gone, at least for 2 nights.

There are other nights, but unlike earlier years, things don't pick up with more bike arrivals until the latter part of the week.

Frank

MikeMcW

Re: Block Party Question

Postby MikeMcW » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:04 pm

The block party will be Friday and Saturday. Unsure of the time Friday.

FrankJ

Postby FrankJ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:24 pm

Will be interesting to see how much of the street will be closed and what time it's closed

Will this be the end of "cruise" night with all the bikes going and coming, parking and walking around

When will a layout and information of the block dance be coming?

Thanks

Ameri-helper

Postby Ameri-helper » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:58 pm

Just in from Christian Dutcher:

The Block Party will take place on Friday and Saturday. Music, stunt shows and other entertainment will span from 3pm through 10pm. (We'll update the website today) The final schedule with all of the bands names and the map will be updated March 10.

The Block Party will occupy the Canada Street block that Shepard Park spans (Amherst St. to Montcalm St.).

We agree that it's fun to walk Canada Street and check out all the bikes, and we think that the Block Party (and the Expo relocation and the new section of bike parking on Canada Street) will add to the excitement. People will still be able to "bike gawk" :shock: but now there will be a big, fun feature just slightly up the road which you can breeze into for free.

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Ameri-helper wrote:Just in from Christian Dutcher:

The Block Party will take place on Friday and Saturday. Music, stunt shows and other entertainment will span from 3pm through 10pm. (We'll update the website today) The final schedule with all of the bands names and the map will be updated March 10.

The Block Party will occupy the Canada Street block that Shepard Park spans (Amherst St. to Montcalm St.).

We agree that it's fun to walk Canada Street and check out all the bikes, and we think that the Block Party (and the Expo relocation and the new section of bike parking on Canada Street) will add to the excitement. People will still be able to "bike gawk" :shock: but now there will be a big, fun feature just slightly up the road which you can breeze into for free.

Wow. Add to the list of major changes for this Americade.

Looking forward.

Poindxter

Postby Poindxter » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:46 pm

First time here on here. I am casual attendee menaing i go for a day trip or 2 each year

In seeing of the block parrty concept I had 2 concerns in reaction
I was disappointed that the concerts in wood park were a victim of the move. I enjoyed Molly Hatchet greatly. It was a rock star type of setup showcase. I was equally disappointed that the block party street closing means there would be no m ore of the simple hanging out on the street and watching everyon'es bikes roll by

But both of those fears have been laid to rest from what i have learned both on the latest facebook announces and here from Mr Dutcher, who I thank for his comments here

First, the concert is still in place, it's just moving with the block party. It appears that the same big stage will be used it must be on wheels. Although I do not recognize the bands so far, hey I am old and dont keep up, it is obvious that the idea it to get young people up there which is fine. I did look at the bands mentioned and though i am not familiar they certainly look and sound more than good. One of them the Malletts was there last year with Molly and are very very good. The band with the gal singer I forget her name sounds quite impressive as well.

Second, i read and now hear from Mr D that the bikes will still parade on the street. Just a detour around the block party. While I am concerned about that traffic pattern I at least am assured of being able to see it. I would recommend that they take the street parking out of those side streets for better movement

All in all, it looks like good improvements for this year. I look forward to it all , most probably on the friday night to see the two bands i mention in last paragraph

I come up from greenfiled, outside Saratoga FYI

Poindxter

Postby Poindxter » Wed May 09, 2018 10:54 am

This old timer is really getting excited about the block party. The more I leanr of those Mallett brothers the more I am impressed. I didn't know of the connection to Dave their Dad, quite the music legend himslef. And this old dog isn't easy to impress! I just hope there are places to sit given my bad wheels. Thank goodness my hotel is right there, the new one.

:wink:

Ameri-helper

Postby Ameri-helper » Wed May 09, 2018 11:36 am

We're happy that you're excited about the Block Party and Parade. We are too.

Block Party Seating: There will be seating: Chairs in/around the beer garden and on a seat-height stone wall running along the street. Both locations offer good visibility. That said, this is a brand new format and we don't yet know how many people will attend, so it's difficult to predict the seating needs. But, we're watching it closely and will try to offer seating as needed. Stay tuned.

Parade Route: The Ride For Kids Ride & Parade will pass through the Village, however the parade route WILL be different. Instead of rerouting around the block party (very difficult), it will instead enter the Village from the south on Canada Street, and will turn right at Beach Road heading toward the Party on the Pier. (Also, don't forget that if you are a participant in that ride, one of the prizes of that ride will be a brand new Honda! Those are some great odds to win a new bike. Just saying...)

Last but not least, "Ameri-Helper" is authored by several of us in the office. We share the duties during busy times (now) so that we're more responsive.

Thanks for your comments and questions!

Poindxter

Postby Poindxter » Wed May 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Your insight is appreciate there Helper.

ABout the seating. Maybe if there werre a section of seats?. I'd prolly be willing to pay for one.

Mainah

Postby Mainah » Thu May 17, 2018 11:48 am

These guys are a great country band with a Maine yankee twist. I think you all will enjoy.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

cybercader
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts/ The Still Great State of Florida

Postby cybercader » Thu May 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Can't wait to see the new layout!
ImageImageImage

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Poindxter

Postby Poindxter » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:56 am

As I said on here in previous postings I am just an old coot that doesn't get out much anymore like in younger times.

But must say here that I thought the Block Party was a magnificent additon to Americade . Warching people soak in the music and the dancing and the bike shows thru the day was a great experience. A mix of people, bikers and non's, young and old, locals and out of town people--all together and having a great time ad many smiles and good cheer all around.

I know some grumble about the shorter bike watch section and the longer traffic jams, but in my view it is well worth the trade offs. The rally needs change and here is a good one.

Most hardy congratulations to Americade in pulling this off.

Return to “General”