Any one demo a Motortrike at Americade?

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

FrankJ

Any one demo a Motortrike at Americade?

Postby FrankJ » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 pm

I've seen them set up At FWH and people riding in a small area, do they actually take you out on the road for a ride, if so how long is it?

Thanks

Ken Clark

Re: Any one demo a Motortrike at Americade?

Postby Ken Clark » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:49 am

I don't know about Motortrike, but a couple of years ago we went down to the TeePee. There was a trike dealer there that let us take out a trike. There was no specific route we just rode up to lake george and then down to Lake Luzurne and back. Was not for us.

If I remember right we did talk with someone at the Fort about a trike. All their trikes were out at the time so we took a spyder and an Indian out instead.

WCLamb
Staffer

Postby WCLamb » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:38 am

Ken Clark wrote:I don't know about Motortrike, but a couple of years ago we went down to the TeePee. There was a trike dealer there that let us take out a trike. There was no specific route we just rode up to lake george and then down to Lake Luzurne and back. Was not for us.

If I remember right we did talk with someone at the Fort about a trike. All their trikes were out at the time so we took a spyder and an Indian out instead.

As I recall, it was "Roadsmith" who was sending out demo riders from FWH. That was Joanne Condame's (Lady FF's) preferred brand, and I believe she bought one from them, not at the fort, but from a Florida dealer. I recall seeing a whole lot of Roadsmiths coming and going from the demo area at the fort.

Ken Clark

Postby Ken Clark » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:48 am

WC did you get my pm I sent this am?

WCLamb
Staffer

Postby WCLamb » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Ken Clark wrote:WC did you get my pm I sent this am?

Just answered! My answers are never short...

hardlyable

Postby hardlyable » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Wife & I demo'd a Motor Trike. First they had us doing 1 hand figure 8's, then we went out for a 35 minute ride with the tech.

FrankJ

Postby FrankJ » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:23 am

I've seen them set up At FWH and people riding in a small area, do they actually take you out on the road for a ride, if so how long is it?

Thanks, have you ridden a trike before?, if not how did you feel riding it? I understand there is a learning curve

Frank

WCLamb
Staffer

Postby WCLamb » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:05 am

FrankJ wrote:Thanks, have you ridden a trike before?, if not how did you feel riding it? I understand there is a learning curve
Frank

Frank -

Although I've not ridden any trikes except for a Spyder RT (and it was only a short demo-ride at a local dealership) your learning curve comment certainly has merit. It takes a whole different skill set to handle a trike vs. a two-wheeler, regardless of steering arrangement.
Many times (conventional) trikes are preferred by lady riders as the conversion "base" bikes tend to be heavyweights, with much more mass than many of the ladies feel comfortable with. And that's understandable. Those heavy machines are more than many of the ladies can hold up on their own, hence the "extra" wheel for stability and load stabilization.
What I find is that many trikes, regardless of rider's gender, require significant upper body strength, which means that to ease steering effort, the triple-clamps for the front forks are frequently changed out -- altering the rake and trail of the "steering" wheel -- in order to lessen the amount of effort it takes to turn the handlebars from one side to the other. Frequently the clamp changeover is described as "power steering" for the massive machines, to reduce the torque required to change direction.
Another part of the learning curve is realizing that swerving around a pothole doesn't work the same, since now there's three separate wheels that need to dodge the pothole instead of just two in a line.
It all comes together in time, and the hours in the saddle improve one's ability to handle the three-wheeler. But it takes a bit of time and practice to become really competent, and develop a comfort level on a whole different kind of machine. I actually believe it's better to start out on a trike than to graduate to one from a two-wheeler and have to un-learn skills developed from riding the two-wheeler.

Ken Clark

Postby Ken Clark » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:53 am

I had never ridden a trike before trying one at the TeePee. Couple of things I noticed right away was not putting a foot down while coming to a stop. As we were driving into a curve my wife thought we were going to crash as I was not leaning into the curve. That is the biggest difference to me, not leaning.
I believe I would look into a tilting reverse trike before going with a conventionaly trike. The company is Tilting Motor Works.

michaelcycle

Postby michaelcycle » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:49 pm

In reply to Kens' mention of "Tilting Motor Works" I recall a few years back at Americade there was a person who showed up on a prototype of this bike design. He did a demo of the bike in the demo area of Americade and it was real impressive with great engineering. I just checked out the website and found out it was the same person and he was doing a video with Jay Leno on Jay Leno's Garage. Check it out.

Take care, Mike
Mike Carroll

I spent most of my life on my motorcycle, the rest I just wasted. " Author unknown"

FrankJ

Postby FrankJ » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks for all your helpful responses! My experience with a trike was when I took a demo ride on a Boss Hoss trike during Americade, they were down the road at one of the outlets mall.

I'm having my Valkyrie converted with a Roadsmith kit after Americade, down in NC I'll be riding it home to MA, about 740 miles, but taking my time and several days, avoiding big cities, avoiding most of NY & NJ., now I need to start studying maps and download a route to my GPS

Frank

hardlyable

Postby hardlyable » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:01 pm

It wasn't bad, the figure 8's using 1 hand actually helped out when we took it out on the road. Remembering not to put your foot down was different but the running board made you think. With the rake kit the trike turn real easy, we had a good time.

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:18 pm

I've already rode a bike with a sidecar so it was not weird when I demo-ed the CanAm Spyder a few years ago.

I'd like to try a 1-2 trike but I suspect it will be similar to a 2-1 trike and a sidecar mounted motorcycle.

ladyff1481

Postby ladyff1481 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:24 pm

Hey Frank, congratulations on the Roadsmith. I am on my 2nd Roadsmith & I'm sending my husband to check out what Roadsmith will be offering for a new Goldwing. I will be looking forward to seeing all your reviews on all the Trikes that you all demo while you're at Americade.

Elwood

Postby Elwood » Wed May 23, 2018 12:47 pm

Wife and I rode the Motor Trikes last year. She LOVED the Prowler (reverse trike) and we both liked the Razor very much. (Both were Goldwing 1800 conversions BTW) Tim from Win's Trikes was very helpful and answered a lot of questions. A few years ago Wife and I demo'd a Roadsmith HTS1800 and we liked that trike too. Hard to go wrong with any of the contemporary conversions out there these days. We own a Hannigan Gen II Goldwing, had it since November 2015 and we love this thing! (Wife actually favors the two wheeler but she loves to ride with me regardless of what we're on) If I were in the market now my top three choices based on ride quality alone would be the Razor, then the Roadsmith and finally the Hannigan. I haven't ridden a CSC, Champion or Lehman so I can't comment on those. I wouldn't own a solid axle trike unless it was given to me. Harsh!

Return to “General”