Fran Cove

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

Ken Clark

Fran Cove

Postby Ken Clark » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Talked with WC a couple of weeks ago. He mentioned that he heard that Fran Cove had sold. Here is the article about it:
https://www.glensfalls.com/glensfallsbu ... orge-area/

GSinNC

Re: Fran Cove

Postby GSinNC » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:45 pm

WOW ... that is sad news. Looks like a lot of the old time owners are taking the money and getting out. The Lido and Admiral have both also been sold in the past 5 years.
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Ken Clark

Postby Ken Clark » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:57 am

Maybe it is time for some to move on. Our experiance at FC was less than stellar last year.

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 am

Ken Clark wrote:Maybe it is time for some to move on. Our experiance at FC was less than stellar last year.

Have been staying at the Lido now for over 15 years through 3 owners and it has always been good! It is in my opinion the perfect location being "in" town but a block off Canada Street so its quiet. When needed (i.e. Rain) we can walk anywhere we need to go including Tour Expo. We walk Canada street every night for dinner and the bike show. And the rates are very reasonable considering it is IN town.

We actually stayed at the Admiral for 2 years but when it got sold we went back to the Lido last year.
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

W. P. Schreiber

Postby W. P. Schreiber » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:55 am

I've often said that I would sleep on my motorcycle before I would stay at Fran Cove again; but good luck to the new owners.

WCLamb
Staffer

Postby WCLamb » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:26 pm

W. P. Schreiber wrote:I've often said that I would sleep on my motorcycle before I would stay at Fran Cove again; but good luck to the new owners.

Might be drier under a roof, not that it ever rains in Lake George.

Justinfive-o

Postby Justinfive-o » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:00 pm

GSinNC wrote:
Ken Clark wrote:Maybe it is time for some to move on. Our experiance at FC was less than stellar last year.

Have been staying at the Lido now for over 15 years through 3 owners and it has always been good! It is in my opinion the perfect location being "in" town but a block off Canada Street so its quiet. When needed (i.e. Rain) we can walk anywhere we need to go including Tour Expo. We walk Canada street every night for dinner and the bike show. And the rates are very reasonable considering it is IN town.

We actually stayed at the Admiral for 2 years but when it got sold we went back to the Lido last year.

The most recent sale of The Lido was definitely for the better. (Enough said about that.) This will be my second year with the current family, tho I've stayed there several times over the years at not-Americade times. I've been satisfied each time, but most satisfied recently.
Apart from the staff I met a cool group of Americaders that seem to be regulars there. Looking forward to it.
Yes, very reasonable considering...

The owners also have that motel on 9n right past the split on the left (upside) with the STEEP driveway. Forgot the name.

ROADCAPTAIN

Postby ROADCAPTAIN » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:21 pm

The Sundowner Motel was sold 2 yrs ago, Col. Williams on Rt 9 So; Studio Motel; just to mention a few that I know about
The old timers are getting premium $$$ & running!!
2004 GL1800,115,000 mi Dyna-Beads, DarkSider #494, Mich Alpin RF
2013 Ultra Classic
Bushtec Turbo + 2
Formerly Bassnman
1st Officer SCRC Chapter #173 North Jersey

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:48 pm

Justinfive-o wrote:
GSinNC wrote:

The most recent sale of The Lido was definitely for the better. (Enough said about that.) This will be my second year with the current family, tho I've stayed there several times over the years at not-Americade times. I've been satisfied each time, but most satisfied recently.
Apart from the staff I met a cool group of Americaders that seem to be regulars there. Looking forward to it.
Yes, very reasonable considering...

The owners also have that motel on 9n right past the split on the left (upside) with the STEEP driveway. Forgot the name.

I believe the Lido owners also own the 7 Dwarfs motel just up the road past the Rt.9 split near the Northway. I like the new owners and they have tried hard to make improvements. But can't say anything bad about the 2 prior owners as they treated us like family and I still keep in touch with both of the 2 prior owners.

The Americade "regulars" staying there has turned over a bit and as in the past is a great group. I ride up with a buddy from NC and will be doing the same again and looking forward to spending time with the other 5-7 folks who are our Americade family. Last year we had a guy from the BMW site who rode up from Guadalajara Mexico. This year we are bringing a newbie from NC who is continuing on to Maine. The absolute best enhancement to the Lido was about 5 years ago when they paved the parking lot. That truly made it perfect!
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:38 pm

Ken Clark wrote:Talked with WC a couple of weeks ago. He mentioned that he heard that Fran Cove had sold. Here is the article about it:
https://www.glensfalls.com/glensfallsbu ... orge-area/

I had to google map it and then go street view to remember it. I do recall it now on my rides to Warrensburg on route 9 for McDonald's and bike wash. Looks like a nice place. I never stayed at a motel at that part of town and have considered it. Looks like you can tuck the motorcycle on the little sidewalk if you need to. Nice flat even asphalt all around. Sold for 1.1 million, eh?

Just checked the website. They have their 2017 rate calendar online. I took a picture of it. Let's see how they are for 2019. I'll also pay attention to customer reviews following Memorial Day since Americade is the major kickoff of the season for LG.

Just noticed that the LG trolley u-turns at their property. That's a plus.

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:55 pm

GSinNC wrote:

Funny thing is that I'd pass the Lido often on my shortcuts to avoid Canada Street. Looks like a nice place. You're right, it is walking distance to everything in down. With the PP parking sticker going up and up, one more factor to spend that extra in a motel in town.

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Ryck wrote:
GSinNC wrote:

Funny thing is that I'd pass the Lido often on my shortcuts to avoid Canada Street. Looks like a nice place. You're right, it is walking distance to everything in down. With the PP parking sticker going up and up, one more factor to spend that extra in a motel in town.

I have been attending Americade since 1990 and have always stayed IN town. It really is a nice experience and if you shop wisely does not cost much more than some out of town motels. We really have been spoiled all these years .... especially when the pancake breakfast was at the High School !! At night after walking Canada St. we carry one of the plastic motel chairs down to the corner and sit and watch the world go bye . OK .. now I can't wait to get up there.
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

FrankJ

Postby FrankJ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:30 pm

The Americade "regulars" staying there has turned over a bit and as in the past is a great group. I ride up with a buddy from NC and will be doing the same again and looking forward to spending time with the other 5-7 folks who are our Americade family. Last year we had a guy from the BMW site who rode up from Guadalajara Mexico. This year we are bringing a newbie from NC who is continuing on to Maine. The absolute best enhancement to the Lido was about 5 years ago when they paved the parking lot. That truly made it perfect!

Hey Ed, from where in NC do you come up from? I'm flying down to Denver NC in mid-June to pick up my trike and come back to Western Mass, about 765 miles, and miss NY city and NJ, just wondering if you have suggestions on the way you go

Thanks
Frank

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:26 am

FrankJ wrote:

Hey Ed, from where in NC do you come up from? I'm flying down to Denver NC in mid-June to pick up my trike and come back to Western Mass, about 765 miles, and miss NY city and NJ, just wondering if you have suggestions on the way you go

Thanks
Frank

WOW ... Denver is just up the road from me. I am in South Charlotte. In fact one of my riding buddies lives in Denver.

Having made the trip dozens of times I have lots of suggestions for motels, restaurants, good gas stops, etc.

Shoot me an e-mail at rstarrider@carolina.rr.com and I will get you some suggestions. Let me know is you want the scenic route or the fast route and how many days you want to make the trip.
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

FrankJ

Postby FrankJ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:59 am

WOW ... Denver is just up the road from me. I am in South Charlotte. In fact one of my riding buddies lives in Denver.

Having made the trip dozens of times I have lots of suggestions for motels, restaurants, good gas stops, etc.

Shoot me an e-mail at rstarrider@carolina.rr.com and I will get you some suggestions. Let me know is you want the scenic route or the fast route and how many days you want to make the trip.

Wow, small world, thanks for your kind offer!, will defintely e-mail you shortly for directions etc. I will be flying in to Charlotte, my trike is being built at UNB Customs in Denver

Thanks again
Frank

Return to “General”