I think...

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

WCLamb
Staffer

I think...

Postby WCLamb » Thu May 17, 2018 8:32 am

Instead of buying a new bike, maybe I should have bought a boat instead. Perhaps a jet-ski or a wave-runner. With all this ceaseless rain, it might have made more sense! For Americade, I could just see all the "boats" parked along Canada Street, backed to the curb with anchors deployed and mooring lines to keep them from floating away.

Damn! This weather has been ridiculous!

Mainah

Re: I think...

Postby Mainah » Thu May 17, 2018 11:37 am

I hear ya, at least it has stopped snowing. If the weather keeps up like it has we all may be riding around in on of these. Sorry I won't get to see you again this year but we will close on the new house May 25 and will be moving and getting this house ready to put on the market. Hopefully I can make up for it next year. Ride safe and have fun.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

preziosi64

Postby preziosi64 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:12 pm

I just hope it stops raining before Americade! One year my husband and I drove in the pouring rain on our bikes and we were not to happy! Please pray for sunshine!

rich703

Postby rich703 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:48 am

Maybe we are getting all the rain out of our way. We are 16 days out and still a bit early to be looking at the weather. I usually start looking at 14 days out. Lol. I have a feeling we'll be ok and rewarded with nice weather this year. Fingers crossed
And in the end it is not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.”
― Abraham Lincoln

michaelcycle

Postby michaelcycle » Sun May 20, 2018 7:54 am

A few years back,3 or 4 maybe, the weather prediction for the week was for awful weather and there were cancellations because of that. That week turned out to be the best weather I can remember in 31 years! :D No guarantees but even with rain in the forecast it doesn't always mean all day. My friend is coming with me for the first time and when he asked me about the weather I just said bring a ran suit, hot weather clothes, cold weather clothes and be prepared for anything in between but most of all come with a good attitude and you will have a great time. 8)

Take care, Mike
Mike Carroll

I spent most of my life on my motorcycle, the rest I just wasted. " Author unknown"

WCLamb
Staffer

Postby WCLamb » Sun May 20, 2018 9:38 am

michaelcycle wrote:"...A few years back,3 or 4 maybe, the weather prediction for the week was for awful weather and there were cancellations because of that. That week turned out to be the best weather I can remember..."

I also remember that, but I think it was a few years earlier because Lois was still alive and we stayed at The Springs Motel in Saratoga Springs. Karl, the motel's owner had reserved one entire wing of his motel for a group of Blue Knights from Connecticut, who did a last-minute cancellation of perhaps sixteen rooms -- all because of a rainy forecast. It turned out to be one of the better Americades weather-wise that I remember.

You gave the right advice: Be prepared for anything and it's likely you'll use what you bring. But rain gear is a definite must!

cybercader
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts/ The Still Great State of Florida

Postby cybercader » Sun May 20, 2018 11:36 am

I don't start worrying until I see a forecast for sun all week.
ImageImageImage

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

michaelcycle

Postby michaelcycle » Sun May 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Attachments
what me worry.gif
what me worry.gif (40.34 KiB) Viewed 703 times
Mike Carroll

I spent most of my life on my motorcycle, the rest I just wasted. " Author unknown"

rich703

Postby rich703 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:53 am

As with everything now a days we rely on technology and the internet for information. Sometimes good and sometimes stressful. Weather being one of them. Every time I go away or planning an outdoor event I'm looking at the weather app 10 days out. It usually changes for the worst for me, never getting better always getting worse. Last year they were wrong. Forecast was for rain every day and after Tuesday it was beautiful. As for Americade I'm checking the weather 15 days in advance. I know its useless but in some way it's part of the fun. Remember back in the day you had to pick up the phone and call the hotel for the weather before you left or a friend who's already there would call you. The weather will be what it will be. Nothing we can do about it just be ready for anything. Does it stink when it rains on an event that's based on good weather? Sure does. But like the saying goes. A bad day at Americade is better then a good day at work.!!!! Finger crossed and in 2 weeks we'll be in sunny rain free 80 degree weather in LG Ameicade 2018
And in the end it is not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.”
― Abraham Lincoln

GSinNC

Postby GSinNC » Mon May 21, 2018 7:23 pm

What folks don’t realize is most “Lake George “ forecasts are really the greater Albany area and the way Lake George is situated results in its own weather. I never try and plan around Lake George weather.
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2012 BMW R1200GSA

Return to “General”