Expo

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

07fjrmy1

Expo

Postby 07fjrmy1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:20 pm

What is the word on the Location of the Expo this year.?
07 FJR '80 Honda 900c 96 XR 250 87 Venture

W. P. Schreiber

Re: Expo

Postby W. P. Schreiber » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:57 pm

That's a very good question, maybe we'll find out next week when the official " invitations" come out.
I guess it depends on how many vendors have signed up.

FrankJ

Postby FrankJ » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:15 pm

Why did this question come up, was there a story that they are relocating?

Received the e-mail announcement about something big, not seen in the last 20 years, are you guessing it might be Tour Expo moving?

Thanks
Frank

W. P. Schreiber

Postby W. P. Schreiber » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:08 pm

I got my "packet" today, I see nothing all that new or different except for a new guided/ unguided tour or 3, and the Saturday Canada St. parade seems to have been replaced by a charity ride departing from Glens Falls and ending at the Boat pier; this will be our 23 straight year, and unless I'm missing something , I don't see anything worth mentioning that I haven't seen or done before, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I assume that the Expo is in the same place, a good thing, but I heard some where that The Holiday Inn is no longer the place to check in; everything Is now done at "The Fort"; we'll see, I still miss " The Ranch".
Speaking of The Fort, I thought of staying there this year, with the free Americade wristbands and all, but I just can't deal with the "over zealous parking advisiors", and would rather stay out of town, ride in, get my PP, and park on the street.
Curious to see if I missed something; maybe more info will be forth coming when the on line registration opens.

TW

Postby TW » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:12 am

Friends went to the Cleveland Motorcycle Show and were told by Yamaha vendor that Expo will be where Harley demo rides were and Harley was told they would have to relocate to some out of the way location. Harley said no way and will not be at Americade. They will concentrate on Laconia.
TW
2017 H-D Ultra Limited

FrankJ

Postby FrankJ » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 pm

Maybe an Americade staff member would be kind enough to let us know:

Is the registration pick up no longer at the Holiday Inn and the new location

Is Tour Expo moving to a new location

Frank

bikeman17

Postby bikeman17 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Here is a link to a article I read about the expo. It is moving to save money.
http://poststar.com/news/local/americad ... bc968.html

ROADCAPTAIN

Postby ROADCAPTAIN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:35 pm

where is the Charles Wood Park??
2004 GL1800,115,000 mi Dyna-Beads, DarkSider #494, Mich Alpin RF
2013 Ultra Classic
Bushtec Turbo + 2
Formerly Bassnman
1st Officer SCRC Chapter #173 North Jersey

bikeman17

Postby bikeman17 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:03 pm

It's between FHH and the big field where you park for free. The old Gaslight Village. Where they have the concerts.

whiplash

Postby whiplash » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:37 pm

Just got my paper and info sheet. It still says million dollar beach for expo but I'm sure this was being printed when negotiations were going on for Charles Wood Park. That park is what we have used for the Friday awards and concert series (festival site). They are now listing the Friday awards and Fri. concert as being in the FWH big top tent behind the hotel (where opening ceremonies are). Saturdays concert series is listed as LG Village (?). Possibly this is to open up the park (festival site) if they do actually decide to move tour expo. I totally get the $ savings part but since the park is not paved it could end up being quite a quagmire if we get any rain. What am i saying "if"? we always get "some" rain!
Sign in is now listed as FWH conference center. That is where the seminars are. Unless there are more than the 2 big rooms there that I haven't seen I wonder if that means the # of seminars will be cut. Also what kind of mess will it be for parking just to register when you don't have a wristband yet?!
Again probably to save $ for the Holiday Inn so let's hope they have a good plan for parking for sign up registration.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Site Admin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:41 pm

Yes, the Expo will in fact be moving to Festival Commons and the Beach Road Parking Lot, next to Fort William Henry. There were some thorny details to be worked out, but it appears those hurdles have been overcome. :D

Ryck

Postby Ryck » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:45 pm

bikeman17 wrote:Here is a link to a article I read about the expo. It is moving to save money.
http://poststar.com/news/local/americad ... bc968.html

I heard that NY State raised fees on Million Dollar Beach several years ago to a shocking amount. A major vendor chipped-in to mitigate the blow to Americade. Looks like Million Dollar Beach weekly rental issue is still active and it is currently at $82,000. That sounds like too much.

Too bad H-D didn't like the move. I remember on my first year visiting the Laconia Bike Rally H-D held their motorcycle demo at the actual town center in Laconia which was at a considerable distance both from the Fun Spot and Weirs Beach areas which are the co-centers of that bike rally.

Let's see how much money the state expects to get during Americade Week from people using Million Dollar Beach as a beach. I can't imagine the revenue collection meeting or exceeding $82,000.

Where is Charles Wood Park? Is it any good?

whiplash

Postby whiplash » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:36 pm

Charles Wood Park is what we've known as Festival Commons, where we've had the last couple of Fri. night awards and concerts. As stated above I do have a concern about the grass field with the vendors when rain comes. Last year I walked the expo with a raincoat on but at least there was not mud to deal with.
Also it appears that Beach Rd. will be used as well meaning the rumor about Harley is probably true. Maybe the site administrator can clarify this and what about Yamaha? Will they move elsewhere and return? Also if Beach Rd. is used as a Tour Expo site where are the tours going to meet and leave from?
Inquiring minds want to know!

strix

Postby strix » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:35 am

I've been among the missing for four years. Looks like I'm just in time for another change.
Hoping to see a new map of the venues soon.
In the mean time, be safe.

harleyfiremedic@hotmail.com

Postby harleyfiremedic@hotmail.com » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Seems this might be a good time for some "official" information on all these issues. While I am not sure this will make a whole lot of difference, it does raise some red flags. As stated before, mud at the vendor sights. I know they were flooded a few times at he beach, but at least they were not on grass. Of course I can understand the reason for moving if the beach had been priced out of range.

I woud also like to know about the Harley Demos. My brother may be attending with me and he is specifically looking forward to trying out a HD Trike.

Hopefully we can get some official answers. Would like to know more before I plunk down my hard earned cash

thanks

Return to “General”