Thinking About It

For all those of the motorized 3-wheel persuasion.

Moderator: WCLamb

ladyff1481

Thinking About It

Postby ladyff1481 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:59 am

Bought a Sportster 2 years ago and have had alot of trouble maintaining my self in the vertical position. We looked at several Trikes at Americade but I only got to test ride the Boss Hoss Trike and that won't be ever at my house at least until I hit the Lotto! Anyway can anyone give me suggestions as to what I ought to be looking at. I am a single rider (my husband loves his C90T Cruiser) and I want some storage space for a road trip now and then.
Should I convert my 2007 883L Sportster with a Lehman Kit or just buy a ready made trike. Definetly don't want to buy an older Trike or spend over 20k. What's your advice, I'll be happy to hear from you all.

Spiritdream

Postby Spiritdream » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:14 am

Lady, before you make a decision you really should test ride some other trikes first. Lehman is a good product (I have one) but not the only one, and I'm told the independent suspension trikes feel different than Lehman's solid suspension....seems to be mostly a preference thing, which is why you'd need to test ride different ones.

I don't think you're going to find many "new" for under $28-30k. I got my Suzuki C50/Lehman brand new (1 mile on it) for @ $17k - now wishing I'd gone with the C90 which was about $19k. Even finding a used one for under $20k would take some looking around, but it can be done.

If you decide to have the Sportster triked, you're looking at probably $6-8k+ for the kit (depending on which one you go with), then you need it installed. Most of what I call the "big" trike companies can probably convert a Sportster - those being Lehman, Champion, California SideCar, MotorTrike, and Hannigan. You can check their websites for a dealer close to you. There may be more, but those are the ones I hear most. I ended up going with the C50/Lehman only because a) it was the only one near me and available immediately, and b) the only one I could finance at the time.

Trike Talk has a lot of members with different types of trikes and conversions, so you may want to check it out and ask questions there. Brothers of the Third Wheel is all 3wheelers, but seems to be mostly VW-based trikes.

Other than that, I can only really give you information on the trike I have. Sadly, I was SOOO new at riding that I was afraid to test ride the few available at the dealership - mine looked "smaller" than the others he had, so that played a big part in my decision. Now, I'm wishing I'd gone with at least the C90, but this is where the fun comes in - I have more experience, so I'll be more willing to do test rides when I'm ready to upgrade! And THAT sounds like fun!!! :D
Cheri
2007 Suzuki C50 Boulevard/Lehman Tramp Trike
MMA; GWRRA; TOI-MA

Let your dreams run wild....be brave enough to follow...Author Unknown

ladyff1481

Postby ladyff1481 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:36 am

Cheri, you've given me alot to think about. I had been thinking that I would be interested in the Suzuki C50/Lehman mainly because my husband is so happy with his C90T. I like the look and size of the C50 in the Trike. I think I will just wait until Americade for a demo. No dealers near me that I can have a demo. Will be in Orlando for Christmas and there is a Trike rental there. Might give it a shot. As for the Sportster conversion, that will always be an option....

WCLamb
Staffer

Postby WCLamb » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:19 am

ladyff1481 wrote:Cheri, you've given me alot to think about. I had been thinking that I would be interested in the Suzuki C50/Lehman mainly because my husband is so happy with his C90T. I like the look and size of the C50 in the Trike. I think I will just wait until Americade for a demo. No dealers near me that I can have a demo. Will be in Orlando for Christmas and there is a Trike rental there. Might give it a shot. As for the Sportster conversion, that will always be an option....

Joanne -
One of the former Staff ladies at Americade has a Suzuki Volusia (a predecessor of the "Boulevard") triked out, with sincere desires to own a GoldWing Trike in the near future. She's located in Northern Maryland, about halfway between Philadelphia and Baltimore... easily a day's ride from you. Perhaps, if you're interested, I can put you two in touch with one another -- to discuss the merits and drawbacks of a triked Suzuki -- and possibly even discuss the possibility of a negotiated deal.

She started with a 650 Yamaha V-Star with a Voyager kit, then went to the true trike when she had the Volusia converted. I'm sure she'd love to "talk trikes" with another lady, and share her experiences -- especially with one who is just starting her journey on three-wheels.

Spiritdream

Postby Spiritdream » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:38 am

Joanne, the C50 isn't a bad trike by any means - I didn't mean to give you that impression!! For me, it was a great starter trike to gain experience and decide that I DO want to keep triking (I wasn't sure at the time if I was going to stay with a trike or make the move to 2 wheels). I have no trouble keeping up with the "big boys", it handles well on roads and highways, etc.

My own "problem" is that it just doesn't have the power that I've decided I want in a trike. I've had a blast on it, but I want to upgrade to one that is more geared to touring - a GW or a Harley Ultra type machine. I've done a couple of "long" rides - 5-7 hrs - and it was fine, but I want the "comforts" that the touring trikes have so that I can hopefully do longer trips. If/when that happens, I want to be able to pull a trailer. (The C90 could do that easily, but again - I want the "comfort" packages. :wink: ).
Cheri
MMA; GWRRA; TOI-MA

ladyff1481

Postby ladyff1481 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:09 am

Well I think after much debate and lots of input from kind people on this board I've decided to convert the Sportster. After discussing all the pros and cons with my local bike dealer I think that I will have the Sportster bumped up to a 1200cc and then add the trike kit.
The more I thought about buying a trike, the more I just couldn't part with my 2007 Sportster. It is my very first Harley and I really do like it. I think I will like it even more when I can keep it vertical!

Spiritdream

Postby Spiritdream » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:26 am

Good for you!! I'm sure you'll be thrilled with it - once I'm riding, I totally forget I have 3 wheels and not 2 (until I have to stop, or hit gravel, etc. :wink: ). What conversion are you going with? I have my eye on a HD with a Champion conversion that someone I know is selling - hope she still has it if/when I get the money!!
Cheri
MMA; GWRRA; TOI-MA

clannish

Trike conversiosn kits

Postby clannish » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:05 pm

I suggest that you may consider a trike conversion kit on the sportster. There is one ( I have one) Voyager trike Kit. It comes with all the fixings and a dealer or a good mechanic can install it within two hours. It is about $5,500.00 with the paint job, chrome wheels, lcd lights, wiring package, toe hitch, etc. I have had mine for 2 years and it works well. There is a dealer in FL who has proven to be a honest and caring provider of these kits and backs up his warranty. If you are interested it is www.thetrikeman.org

WCLamb
Staffer

Re: Trike conversiosn kits

Postby WCLamb » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:25 pm

clannish wrote:I suggest that you may consider a trike conversion kit on the sportster. There is one ( I have one) Voyager trike Kit. It comes with all the fixings and a dealer or a good mechanic can install it within two hours. It is about $5,500.00 with the paint job, chrome wheels, lcd lights, wiring package, toe hitch, etc. I have had mine for 2 years and it works well. There is a dealer in FL who has proven to be a honest and caring provider of these kits and backs up his warranty. If you are interested it is www.thetrikeman.org

Triker Mary can probably add her two cents worth here...
She put a Voyager kit on her 650 V-Star and rode it for a couple years prior to selling the kit and bike after she'd gotten the Volusia Trike. One of the benefits of the Voyager is that it doesn't alter the basic motorcycle, so that it can still be ridden as a 2-wheeler if and when it comes time to sell or trade it. The basic Voyager kit fits many different cycles, and only the mounts are different from bike to bike, making the Voyager marketable all by itself, separate from the bike, if you have the time to find a buyer.

The only significant drawback I've ever heard of with the Voyager is that you can get both "outrigger" wheels on higher ground than the rear drive wheel (like pulling over to the shoulder along Route 9 south of Lake George Village) and having your drive wheel in the roadside gutter. That means you need to push it to get that drive wheel back onto a tractionable surface.

That's a very rare occasion, and probably not worth much concern. You just need to be aware of the surface upon which you ride and avoid the possibility of losing contact with your drive wheel.

trikermary

Postby trikermary » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:05 am

I did have the Voyager for several years, for the price it was well worth it, it helped me to decide that triking was the way I wanted to go, I never had a problem with the voyager but found it to be very "bouncy" while riding, but that was not a problem, just something to get used to like the steering and handling, once you get that down, it was a joy, but after seeing so many gorgeous trikes out there, it made me want a real 3 wheel trike and not just the Voyager, but I would recommenc it for anyone that is not certain they want to invest a lot of $$ in a trike, you may want to see how you like this, since you can always sell it separately and you will still have your bike! I have had my Suzuki Volusia for 4 years now and love it but am ready to get a bigger trike, hopefully a used Goldwing or Harley that has more "bells an whistles" like CD player, reverse, trunk storage etc) I will be checking out websites for a good deal since I do not have the $$ for a brand new one.........

ladyff1481

Postby ladyff1481 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:17 pm

The Trike is coming, the Trike is coming!!!! I paid for all the work yesterday. After going to The Trike Shop at Destination Daytona I have decided to get the Sportster converted with their Roadsmith conversion kit. My local motorcycle shop (Deublers in Sayre PA) will be doing the work. Can't wait!!! When it's done I will post pics.

Spiritdream

Postby Spiritdream » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:13 am

Congratulations!!! You'll love it!! Can't wait to see the pics. :D
Cheri
MMA; GWRRA; TOI-MA

Cobrasigns

New to triking

Postby Cobrasigns » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:57 am

Haven't been on the board for some time. I had knee surgery. What a pain in the A.. I decided to get a trike. I went with a VW tike, mostly because of the cost to see if I like it. 4-5,000 as aposed to big money. We'll see. There's not too many VW trikes out there but I got my hands on an old factory trike in real good shape for 5 grand. Not too many places that make them anymore. Hope I like it. I'll be at Americade this year with it. Even if I had nothing to ride, I'd be there.

OK......How the He.. do I get my profile pic back up ?

Spiritdream

Postby Spiritdream » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:25 am

Jack,

If your picture is stored online somewhere - like Photobucket.com - you just go into your profile (link at top of page) and put the link to your picture in the Signature box.
Cheri
MMA; GWRRA; TOI-MA

Cobrasigns

Profile Pic

Postby Cobrasigns » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:56 am

Thanks Cheri. I got it.
Last edited by Cobrasigns on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Trikes & 3-Wheelers”